CMU Medical Education Partners, founded in 1968 as Saginaw Affiliated Hospitals, Inc., has been committed to research, education, and coordination of medical activities in the community for more than 50 years. CMU Medical Education Partners provides graduate medical education to residents in general surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, internal medicine, family medicine, emergency medicine, psychiatry, pediatrics, and podiatry, and provides undergraduate medical education to medical students from Central Michigan University.
CMU Medical Education Partners is committed to the ongoing education of individuals pursuing a healthcare-related education or training.
Healthy Saginaw Scholarship details
Because of our commitment to the ongoing education of individuals pursuing healthcare-related education or training, CMU Medical Education Partners is proud to offer the Healthy Saginaw Scholarship, which encourages Saginaw County residents to obtain an undergraduate degree in preparation of attending medical school or pursuing a degree in a field that will allow the applicant to provide direct patient care.
The maximum scholarship funding available for the 2023-2024 academic year is $30,000. The top ten applicants will be awarded a scholarship of $3,000 each.
1. Encouraging Saginaw County residents to obtain an undergraduate degree in preparation of attending medical school, or a certification in a health-related field, or a bachelor or masters level degree in a health-related field. Details and eligibility criteria:
a. The maximum scholarship available in this category is typically $30,000 with the top ten applicants each receiving a scholarship of $3,000.
b. Occasionally, if additional funds are available, either more candidates will be awarded scholarships, or each candidate may receive more than $3000.
c. Effective January 2024, no individual will be eligible to receive more than a total of four (4) scholarships from this category unless that individual is attending a Michigan medical school. Pre-med will be subject to the four-scholarship maximum.
d. The scholarship will be given to the individual with an essay that best describes the individual’s:
i. reason for wanting to become a physician or obtaining the masters level degree
ii. target patient population and specialty or career goals
iii. financial need
iv. anticipated practice location five years after completing residency
e. Each candidate must have a permanent residence in Saginaw County.
f. Each candidate must be accepted to a college or university in the state of Michigan and enrolled in classes as of the date the scholarship payment is made to the college or university
g. Willingness to authorize any scholarship payment to be made directly to the college or university at which the student is enrolled.
These are awarded based on the criteria set forth in the scholarship and/or created by the Scholarship Committee, made up of the CMU Medical Education Partners Administrative Team.
1. In January of each year, the Scholarship Committee, made up of the CMEP President & CEO, COO/General Counsel, Chief of Staff, Chief Financial Officer, and HR Director will determine the total amount eligible for distribution from each scholarship, evaluate and adjust priorities, if necessary, and determine any specific criteria for eligibility - for scholarships to be distributed in the calendar year.
2. The available amount and eligibility criteria will be posted on the CMEP website and other means as determined appropriate by the Scholarship Committee.
3. Application deadlines:
a. Applications will be accepted March - June 30 for the fall semester and October - November for the winter semester.
4. Scholarship fund distribution:
a. Payments will be made directly to the university to which the student is enrolled in classes for the fall semester. Payments will be made by September 1.
5. Unless the criteria for the scholarship, Scholarship Committee, or other rules prohibit it, recipients may be eligible to receive the Funds on more than one occasion.
Application and deadline
Application form and essays should be emailed to Trish Salas at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 15, 2024, to be applied to the Fall 2024 semester. Please include Scholarship Application in the subject line.
Payments will be made directly to the university to which the student is enrolled in classes for the Fall semester.